Up to the beginning of the Second World War, much of the church activities in China were carried out by western missionaries; however, Rev. Timothy Dzao believed there should be a self-governing, self-supporting, and self-evangelizing Chinese mission.
In 1942, he set up the first Ling Liang Church in Shanghai, China. “Ling Liang” means “food to nourish our spirit”. Despite the War, the number of Christians increased and new Ling Liang Churches were being established.
“Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation” (Mark 16:15) was the burden of Rev. Dzao. So in 1948, he sent Rev. and Mrs. David Lamb to India. In 1949 he sent Rev. and Mrs. Moses Chow to Indonesia. God was with them and their fruits were plenty.
In 1949, there was a political change in China. Rev. Dzao and his family moved to Hong Kong. There, he conducted an evangelistic campaign, with meetings held for 100 days. Many came to hear the Gospel and accept Christ. As a result, Rev. Dzao founded the Hong Kong Ling Liang Church in 1959, and later, many Ling Liang Churches were established in various parts of Hong Kong.
Today, there are Ling Liang Churches in different parts of the world: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia (known as Gereja Santapan Rohani), India, The Philippines, Malaysia, Australia, Canada, and US (known as Bread of Life Church). All these churches share and emphasize the burden of the founder Rev. Dzao: Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.
The Toronto Ling Liang Church was founded by Gloria Dzao, who is still a member of the Chinese Congregation.